The mission of Sophia P. Kingston Elementary Library is to foster the love of reading for pleasure and information by connecting our students, faculty, and administration with the resources, technology, and critical thinking skills they need to inspire learning. We will enrich lives by maintaining a nurturing, safe, fun, and inviting environment for all and strive to meet the needs of all ethnic, cultural, and educational differences for all patrons to excel in our global community. We will collaborate with teachers, administrators, and parents to inspire learning and ensure that we have adequate resources to become 21st century learners.
- To ensure that our students acquire information and literacy skills.
- To develop and maintain a balanced, extensive, and accessible collection of print and non-print material for all our patrons.
- To use the relevance of materials that supports and enriches the curriculum.
- To prompt curiosity, which leads to individual learning, creativity, and research.
- To promote literacy and the enjoyment of reading.
Our vision is to empower students to become ethnical users, critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, and skillful researches. We will ensure equality and freedom to access all information for our diverse population.
Accelerated Reader (AR)
At a glance
Accelerated Reader is a computer-based program that Selma City Schools use to monitor reading practice and progress.
It helps teachers guide kids to books that are at kids’ individual reading levels.
Kids take short quizzes after reading a book to check if they’ve understood it.
Myon is a student-centered, personalized digital library that gives students access to more than 7,000 enhanced digital books in the core collection. Titles are dynamically matched to each individual student’s interests, grade and reading level. Combined with a suite of close reading tools and embedded supports, Myon fosters student engagement and achievement.